A9Home and RR

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Fri Jul 8 12:17:39 CDT 2005

RISC OS machines are a "whole different ball-game" to
anything most of us are used to (i.e. PCs amd Macs) and the
A9Home is not a 'bare-bones' machine coming from nowhere -
it comes from a long series of RISC OS computers such as
the Iyonix PC - and, further back, the Archimedes series
that were very successful in the UK education market until
Xemplar 'climbed into bed' with Apple (they should have
known better) and Apple, in running Archimedes into the
groud shot themselves in the foot and the vast majority of
school computers are now PCs running MS Windows.

The specs for the A9Home look really retro (400 MHz) from
the point of view of the likes of me (with my out-of-date
G4 dual 1.27 GHz Mac) - but, as far as I understand it
these machines, owing to the OS being stored on a chip, are
lightning-fast.

What is really more the point of my previous message is
that I see a tendency for some RR-users to
be straying away from what I would best describe as the
"Hypercard patch" (primarily educational stuff) and into
all sorts of 'other' computing areas. Now while RISC OS has
some stake in education in "eccentric little countries"
like the UK (I am a British citizen), what is more
significant is the RISC OS base in embedded systems - and
to develop control mechansims for RISC OS embedded systems
one needs a RISC OS computer.

At present MC/RR is available for Linux/Unix/Mac & WIn -
which covers a lot of the installed base. However, while I,
personally, only believe that a bunch of rather odd people
are going to have a RISC OS PC sitting in their bedroom at
home; I do see that RISC OS is a significant force
elsewhere.

Sincerely, Richmond
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html