Program won't open

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Feb 27 15:39:46 EST 2005

>It works here. But could it be that the users who have problems
>don't have write permission for the application folder.
>
>I would assume that the user who installed the app will have
>appropriate permissions. But the following two situations would
>cause an error:
>
>1.  The user installs under an "admin" account, but uses it under a
>"plain user" account.
>
>2. The app was installed by one person, and then used by another
>with a different account on the same machine. Ie. installed by "Mom"
>and then used by "the kid".
>
>To avoid this kind of problem, it's probably better avoiding writing
>to the application folder.
>
>Cheers
>Dave

This program needs to be able to write to its own folder, that is an
integral part of the program.  Would that be the same for creating a
stack on the fly?  Such as creating save files for a game as you
play?  If so, pretty much everything I create will need to be able to
do that :-)  Though I suppose you could put all the saved games in
some other folder.  Not very pretty, and sure not where I want my
saved games to be.

There was a specific reason for creating at least * one * file in the
apps own folder however.  A necessary part of the installation
process.

I have the vague recollection of writing a handler that created a
folder, and set that folder's permissions.  Hmmm... I wonder if I
could use an approach like that?  And where the heck was I using that
handler??

If one folder had a no-write on it, but a folder inside of it had an
okay-to-write on it, would the second folder be able to be written to?

Shari

--
Mac and Windows shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com