debugging session on FlipsIDE

Wouter wouter.abraham at scarlet.be
Mon Feb 14 20:20:00 EST 2005

Hi All,

- A major problem causing situation is created by switching to Metacard
without purging the stacks with same names -->  "answer dialog", "ask
dialog", "color chooser" and "execution  error". When one of these
stacks is called the condition of the app is destabilized. For example
switch to Metacard and type answer "hello there" in the msg box. Switch
to Revolution and trying to do the same will most of the time result in
a crash.

The purest way would be to purge those stacks from the rev home stack
when Metacard is loaded.
But this  is also causing problems. Try this in Revolution: delete
stack "answer dialog" of stack  "home" and then try quitting rev in a
normal way.
The nicest way would be the Rev people removing those stacks from the
home stack and putting them somewhere else (why should those be lodged
in the home stack anyway...) then purging and reloading would not be
problematic.

The second best way and the only way for now is purging them from the
"Metacard Menu Bar" stack when switching to Metacard. (personally I
don't like this because the metacard "color chooser" stack has more
functionality than rev's)

- The currentIDE handler is not working as it is supposed to do and
causes problems on switching. (try switching to No IDE and back to
Revolution)

- Only relying on the mainstacks for unloading metacard is not so good
an idea as some substacks of the "Metacard Menu Bar" can be open and
will not allow the "Metacard Menu Bar" to close  when switching back to
Revolution.

- No revMenubar prefs restoring (but this is only a cosmetic problem)

I made a special version of the FlipsIDe stack that tackles most of
these problems and added debugging means. But "only" for the Mac OS X
environment for now.
After these changes it is possible to run the flip without the
FreshenIDEByDoingSomethingStupidToCorrectForBizarreCrashingEngineBug.
Crashes are still possible, but hey, even without using FlipsIDE ;-)

Some testing in VPC windows 2000 showed that using the FlipsIDE there
is a totally different story and for which I didn't have time yet to
investigate.

Greetings,
WA