New prefs scheme for MC

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Thu Feb 10 13:25:30 EST 2005

Hi Richard, Dave and all,

i changed the subject a bit :-)

> On 9 Feb 2005, at 21:30, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>> I must have missed something along the line -- why/when/how are we
>>> not going to need a Home stack?
>>
>> Of course some Home stack or another will still be need to be present
>> for licensing, but the one we're all currently will need to be
>> replaced at some point with the next license change so any changes
>> you might have made to it now will be lost at that time.
>>
>> Also, once FlipsIDE goes final there may be some who prefer the
>> simpler setup and since it runs MC with Rev's license stack

Oh, i think this fact is a bit more important than to get to know about
it "en passant"! ;-)

Anyway, good to know!

>> it may not be wise to store custom props there, since we can't rely
>> on any features of other people's stuff remaining in place
>> indefinitely.
>>
>> The upside for what Klaus is working on is that it's generally
>> considered the right thing to do:  both HIGs strongly suggest it, and
>> in circumstances where the current user may not be an administrator
>> it may be the only way to have prefs stored reliably between
>> sessions.
>>
> I wonder if HIGs should apply to development tools in the same way
> they apply to applications. Like Robert, I keep various versions of
> both MC and Rev on my hard drives. And sometimes multiple copies of
> the same version, for example when messing about with the IDE. So even
> keeping separate prefs by version wouldn't always work. And when
> testing alpha/beta versions, I'd be worried what was being saved to a
> non-local prefs file. So please give the option to save prefs locally
> in the app folder.

Makes sense...

Maybe i could check the "mcversion" of stack "mctools" to differ
between the
different IDEs?

Any caveats/downsides ?

> The administrator rights issue is one reason I generally keep MC and
> Rev out of the Applications or Program Files folders and put them
> somewhere in user space. Perhaps not so convenient for multi-user
> machines though.

But please remember that a new solution WILL require to change your
HOME stack(s),
since the prefs a read/set in its "preopenstack" handler (of cd 1)!

I think most of you modified HOME to your needs like i did...
So should i move this to the "mctools stack?

Are there any downsides to read/set the prefs NOT when the home stacks
opens?

Would you prefer a simple text file or a stack to save the prefs in?

> Cheers
> Dave
>
> PS
> Looking forward to FLIPSide.
> Looking forward to seeing Klaus dance again.

Hey, shake your booty! :-D
Thank you very much for liking my "engine-impersonating artistic dance
performance"!

(Yes, there HAVE been some really startling moments on the ERC in
Malta! ;-)

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de