Bizarro behavior explained

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 9 15:40:21 EST 2005

Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2005, at 21:30, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> J. Landman Gay wrote:

>>> I must have missed something along the line -- why/when/how are we
>>> not going to need a Home stack?
>>

>> Of course some Home stack or another will still be need to be present
>> for licensing, but the one we're all currently will need to be
>> replaced at some point with the next license change so any changes you
>> might have made to it now will be lost at that time.
>>
>> Also, once FlipsIDE goes final there may be some who prefer the
>> simpler setup and since it runs MC with Rev's license stack it may not
>> be wise to store custom props there, since we can't rely on any
>> features of other people's stuff remaining in place indefinitely.
>>
>> The upside for what Klaus is working on is that it's generally
>> considered the right thing to do:  both HIGs strongly suggest it, and
>> in circumstances where the current user may not be an administrator it
>> may be the only way to have prefs stored reliably between sessions.
>>
> I wonder if HIGs should apply to development tools in the same way they
> apply to applications. Like Robert, I keep various versions of both MC
> and Rev on my hard drives. And sometimes multiple copies of the same
> version, for example when messing about with the IDE. So even keeping
> separate prefs by version wouldn't always work. And when testing
> alpha/beta versions, I'd be worried what was being saved to a non-local
> prefs file. So please give the option to save prefs locally in the app
> folder.
>
> The administrator rights issue is one reason I generally keep MC and Rev
> out of the Applications or Program Files folders and put them somewhere
> in user space. Perhaps not so convenient for multi-user machines though.

Doesn't matter to me much one way or another.  We got on this thread
because we were looking for ways to avoid storing build info in a custom
prop of the first card of the mainstack being built into a standalone.
But I've been using my own build tool to do exactly that with
one-click-and-don't-even-have-to-think-about-it convenience for years,
and will continue doing so even if others prefer to hunt around for
settings files. :)