MC IDE v2.6b12 posted

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 30 16:32:42 CST 2005

Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 30 Dec 2005, at 20:55, Jan Schenkel wrote:
>
> Hi Jan
>

>> I don't know if you've considered the following
>> "trick":
>> --
>> try
>>   do "open secure socket to tHost"
>> catch
>>   answer "This version of the engine does not support
>> secure connections." & return & "Do you want to open a
>> regular socket instead?" with "Yes" or "No"
>>   if it is "Yes" then open socket to tHost
>> end try
>

> I'd considered something similar (using "do"), but didn't try.

Probably just as well.  While Rev's socket performance is pretty good,
some have reported better performance in other languages.  Anything we
can do to maintain efficiency with connections seems well worth the
effort, certainly if the only cost is to make sure one's using the right
MC IDE with the right version (and there's only a few dozen of us so
it's a very small matter).

  Managing Editor, revJournal