MC IDE v2.6b12 posted

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 30 14:45:55 CST 2005

Dave Cragg wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2005, at 19:17, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> I just added this line to the preOpenStack handler of mctools:
>>
>>   set the mcversion of stack "MetaCard Menu Bar" to the version
>>
>> This will remove an ongoing annoyance for most users, but will fail
>> to notify anyone using engine versions more than a year old.  There
>> should be no behavioral differences if using any engine from v2.5  or
>> later, only cosmetic.
>
> I hate to bring bad news, especially at this time of year ..... but ...
>
> The current libUrl version (1.1.4) will only work with engine  versions
> of 2.6.1 or later. This was when the secure socket feature  was added.
> The syntax "open secure socket" will cause an error on  earlier versions.

Thanks for the reminder.

Given that v2.6.1 is now about 8 months old, I'm inclined to go along
with the general sentiment expressed by many here that it isn't worth
the effort to maintain one IDE for all engine versions.  I seem to have
been the only person who held that ideal, and I don't mind going along
with the crowd on this one, encouraging anyone using an older engine to
use an older version of the MC IDE.

So the more relevant question seems to be whether we bother with adding
the smarts to the MC IDE boot routine to check the engine version for
compatibility, or move forward with the confidence that its 50 or so
users are using the current engine.

Opinions?