MC IDE v2.6b12 posted

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 30 13:17:28 CST 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Ray Horsley wrote:
>
>> Thanks Richard.
>>
>> I've downloaded and installed.  Everything looks great so far.  Just
>> one thing:  Should I be concerned with the note which appears warning
>> me the Tools stack, version 2.6.1 does not match the engine version
>> which is 2.6.6?
>

> That comes from the card script of the Home stack, and here we have the
> conundrum:  the solution is for me to comment out that part of the code,
>  but to do so I'd need to license the Home stack first.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> As I write this it occurs to me that I could name it something else and
> then open it in a licensed MC environment and then name it back.  I'll
> give that a whirl for next round....

That turned out not to work:  oddly enough, if you rename the Home stack
it can no longer be opened.  Hmmm....

The engine version check is no longer relevant for use with all engines
from v2.6 and later (the only incompatibility being the cursor IDs
changed to accomodate the odd decision to add new cursors in the engine
using IDs already reserved for other images).

The About box gets its version info from a different property, so the
mcversion property is now obsolete.

I just added this line to the preOpenStack handler of mctools:

   set the mcversion of stack "MetaCard Menu Bar" to the version

This will remove an ongoing annoyance for most users, but will fail to
notify anyone using engine versions more than a year old.  There should
be no behavioral differences if using any engine from v2.5 or later,
only cosmetic.

Should I keep this change, or revert to requiring affected users to
modify their own Home stacks?