Desktop Alias with Applescript

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Dec 11 17:42:07 CST 2005

On 12/11/05 3:34 PM, "Shari" <shari at gypsyware.com> wrote:

>> Whenever you want to know how to use a particular Terminal command, open the
>> terminal and type "man" (for "manual") followed by the name of the command.
>> So for "man ln", it shows this (I'm only showing a portion of the entry):
>
> I may have one of the older versions of OSX.  My Terminal does not
> recognize "man" or "man ln".  It says "Command not found."

Wow.. that's weird... perhaps you're right, but I could swear 'man' support
was in there since day one. What version of OSX are you trying this in?

> I wonder what I did wrong the other day?  I know I tried both with
> and without the -s.  What is the purpose of the -s?

It creates a "symbolic link" (or "symlink") instead of a "hard link". A hard
link looks and acts like a "real" file (i.e. you can't tell it's an alias),
and it's limited so that it can't refer to directories or span file systems.
The symbolic link is the one we're most used to.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com