Desktop Alias with Applescript

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Dec 11 15:34:35 CST 2005

>Did it work in other versions of OS X, or only in OS 9?

I don't recall if it worked on Mac Classic.  It's been awhile since
I've released anything for Classic.  It was working okey dokey on OSX
10.2.8.  Beta testers do not give reports as detailed as whether they
got an icon on their desktop or not, but I've not gotten any bug
reports on it, and the public is usually very good at letting you
know things like that :-)

>Whenever you want to know how to use a particular Terminal command, open the
>terminal and type "man" (for "manual") followed by the name of the command.
>So for "man ln", it shows this (I'm only showing a portion of the entry):

I may have one of the older versions of OSX.  My Terminal does not
recognize "man" or "man ln".  It says "Command not found."

>There's a better UI to the 'man' entries by using a program called "ManOpen"
>(you can search Google for that).

That would be worth looking into!  Speaking of manuals, even on the
Apple website, the official Applescript manual is dated 1999.  You'd
think they'd update it by now.

>In any event, when I issue:
>
>   ln -s <srcPath> <pathToAlias>
>
>it creates an alias, with icon, etc. So in my case, if I want to alias the
>Calculator application to my desktop, I'd do this:
>
>   ln -s /Applications/Calculator.app /Users/kenray/Desktop/Calculator

That looks like what I used the other day.  I may have preceded it
with the drive name, I do not recall.  I did not use quotes, though
there were spaces involved in the path.  I may have used underscores.

I just tried again following your example with quotes for anything
that had a space, and it worked like a charm!  Now, will it delete?
Yup!

Nifty!

I wonder what I did wrong the other day?  I know I tried both with
and without the -s.  What is the purpose of the -s?

Shari

--
Mac and Windows shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com