Anyone interested in customizing the Execution Error stack

Ray Horsley ray at linkitonline.com
Fri Dec 9 15:19:30 CST 2005

I've successfully customized the execution error substack from the
McTools stack, thanks to help from Richard Gaskin and Xavier.  This is
something I think a lot of us could use, so for anyone who's
interested, here's how I did it.

I decided to alter the existing Execution Error stack instead of
trapping for the errorDialog message and writing my own window since I
couldn't seem to get the data out of the field in the Execution Error
stack called "Error Message" soon enough (although it's nearly the same
as the data supplied with the parameter for errorDialog).  With this
approach in mind, I changed the name of the Help button on the
Execution Error stack to Submit Report.  I then wrote my own handler
which grabs all the error data from the field in the Execution Error
stack called "Error Message".  Of course I added data like the date and
the user's registration, and I gave the user an area to provide extra
notes of what lead to the error.  Finally, my script grabs a screen
shot of the entire monitor.  Then, a text file of the report is
uploaded to my FTP site as well as the picture.

I studied a little the data Metacard provides regarding errors, but I
still don't understand what some of the numbers mean.   The whole thing
is kind of a weird area of Metacard to work with, a lot of unexpected
behavior.  I eliminated a problems by sending the message from the
Submit Report button in 30 instead of executing it right away.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank again to Richard and Xavier!

Ray Horsley
Developer, LinkIt! Software