Customizing the Execution Error stack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 8 10:22:53 CST 2005

Ray Horsley wrote:
> Greetings members,
>
> I'm working on customizing the Execution Error stack, but it's a weird
> thing to work with.  Each time I add buttons or fields to it they seem
> to disappear.  Looking at it in the Control Browser produces weird
> behavior, too, such as clicking on one control and highlighting
> another.  I'd like to add a "Submit Report" button to it which posts the
> specs of the error on an ftp site or something.  Specifically, it would
> be nice to know how it's triggered, what messages are sent to it, from
> where, and how to trap for them.
>
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Indeed it is a weird thing to work with.  I started to modify it years
ago, and got bored with that tedium and found it easier to rewrite my
own from scratch.

Two things to note:

The main entry point is the errorDialog message.  If you handle that in
a frontScript it'll not only work well in a standalone, but will catch
it before MC does in the IDE.

The actual error messages aren't stored in the engine, and there's no
way to know what they are from the engine alone.  They rely on a
return-delimited list in a field called (if memory serves) "Messages" in
MC's "Execution Error" stack.

When you get an errorDialog  message you get three params which are
solrey underdocumented.  I believe it's the first param which is the
integer which related to the line number of the error messages list in
the "Messages" field; I'd have to double-check the code to make sure.