Revolution debugger issues

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Aug 4 15:05:42 CDT 2005

On 8/3/05 11:41 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> You may recall, I wrote to Rev Support a few weeks ago vaguely describing a
> problem where garbage characters were intermittently winding up in global
> variables (that would otherwise evaluate correctly in the message box and
> simple scripts).  This did not involve the debugger specifically, but as in
> your case, it was something that took me days if not weeks to track down.
> And I still have no explanation for why it happens.

I only saw it happen when I called a handler using function syntax. And
it didn't surprise me that the parameters were skewed, but I did want to
get some sort of error about it. Instead the script just ran anyway
using the wrong data.

> This may be completely unrelated but, are you sure the problem only occurs
> when using the debugger?  If you run the scripts repeatedly, do the script
> problems occur at all intermittently even when not using the debugger?  If
> so, this sounds like the variable trouble I was having, and this occurred in
> MC, not Rev.  In my case, the only way I could work around it was to compare
> the value of the variable against something expected (in my case it was an
> object reference) and exit the handler if the value was unexpected.  I'm
> sorry I can't offer more help.  I would very much like to know if you (or
> others) uncover anything regarding this mystery.

Well, my first reaction was "it only happens in the debugger" -- but
then, I have spent a week trying to figure out why some handlers run one
day and not the next, or why I'm getting errors for things that nobody
else can reproduce. So yeah, maybe it *is* the same thing. It is too
vague and untrackable for me to say for sure. For a while I thought my
stack had disk damage (so I rebuilt it twice with no luck,) then I
thought it was a hardware problem with my Mac, and a whole bunch of
other things, because people couldn't reproduce it on their machines.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com