Using php

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Tue Sep 21 21:49:14 EDT 2004

Hello David,

In the way i use my PHP sockets listener and ports translator, we are
only speaking from 20 lines of code (no need to know more about PHP).
All the application logic is build and run by the MC or Rev application
server.

To have an eye about the detail, you can get this example app i spoked
about previously and pick inside the design logic ;)

> Yes, it's a server side app directly speaking trought html forms on
> the client side and binded to a rock solid SQL databases server on the
> back-end. It works as a remplacement solution (and paradigm !) to the
> less stuitable Java-based stuffs built to run on top of Tomcat or
> JBoss servers.
>
> To have an eye on what it does (whithout writting anything in this
> real production state app, please !), you can test it on line in both
> "filling datas mode" (login : 0931213N ; password: sais0093) and
> "reporting mode" (login : synt0734 ; password: collecte) by visiting
> <http://acacia93.dyndns.org/classpac.xml>.

Best, Pierre

Le 21 sept. 04, à 13:18, david at anon.nu a écrit :

> De: david at anon.nu
> Date: 21 septembre 2004 12:39:19 GMT+02:00
> À: Discussions on Metacard <metacard at lists.runrev.com>
> Objet: Rép : Using php
>

> Pierre Sahores wrote:
>
>> Le mer 18/02/2004 à 16:28, Brian Yennie a écrit :
>>
>>> FWIW, I've also used a method similar to Pierre's for PHP script <->
>>> MetaCard daemon work.
>>> I have easily supported 50+ users hitting the system hard (with many
>>> database queries and a lot of HTML generation) on a modest server.
>>> Have yet to see where the maximum is.

I never experimented a maximum limit for yet... The most i can say is
that +800 connections / seconds are OK under a four year old
Linux/Athlon 800/1 Go RAM.

> My php is not so good - but need to start interfacing with a whole
> bunch of php code on a web server - so finally going to have a go at
> adopting Pierre's method - especially now that I can see that using a
> root protected port should deal with the main security prob?
>
> I'm working with TikiWiki which has a very nice templating system
> (http://smarty.php.net/). So what I need to be able to do is set
> variables in the php scripts that call the smarty templates - and I
> want to code these in Rev. Finally it would be great to call the huge
> library of small php functions (but this can be done ok using REST or
> shell scripts).
>
> NB - if anyone is interested in robust templating systems and MC -
> have a look at ClearSilver (http://www.clearsilver.net/). Best I've
> found - light, fast, open source, used by big sites, and
> multi-language bindings. It's written in C - so all we need is to
> write some tiny little bit of C glue - and Rev has a world class
> templating system. I would absolutely love someone to help with that
> as my C is non-existent :(
>
> As far as I can see this  php script is a generic way for a url posted
> to Apache / php to pass this data on to a Rev daemon running on the
> server - which can then do whatever it likes. Which is cool. But am I
> right that this is a one way process?
>
> What would be great is if I knew enough php to write a function which
> would communicate over the same socket listener to Rev, and then
> return this back to php to set a variable or whatever - IAC in other
> words?
>
> Now this can be done with RESTful type interfaces
> (http://www.devx.com/DevX/Article/8155), but it would be even better
> and more light weight to use a two way socket listening set up on root
> protected ports - or am I only getting half the picture here?
>
> david

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours