Security schemes for Players

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Oct 2 01:27:54 EDT 2004

Hi Alejandro.

I have a player which downloads stacks from a web page. Here's how I do it:

I password protect my stacks
I create a custom control (btn,fld,img,etc..) and set the script to a
secret word only I know.
When I try and launch one of my stacks I do the following:

1. lock messages (preOpenCard handler won't run)
2. check for the existence of the control
3. get the script of the control and compare it to the string I know
4. if all is OK, then I open the stack and unlock messages.

Don't put the password in a custom prop as it isn't encoded when the
stack is password protected. You could also do something fancy with a
checksum function if you wanted.

hope this helps,

Chipp