MC 2.5 ramblings...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 9 08:44:52 EST 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> But if all you want is a simpler UI and already have a Rev license, a
>> little patience may be all that's needed:
>>
>> I'm working on a Rev plugin called FlipsIDE which lets you flip into
>> the MC IDE after launching Rev.  It's far simpler to set up than MC is
>> now, and will allow you to use the toolkit of your choice with any
>> valid Rev license (and not just the MC IDE; FlipsIDE is designed to be
>> modular so folks can make a flipper for other IDEs as well, like
>> FreeGUI, Constellation, the Rossi Collection, and whatever else comes
>> along).
>>
>> I'm trying to finish some other projects first, but hope to release
>> FlipsIDE not long after I'm back from the Euro Rev Con in Malta.
>
> If FlipsIDE (or is that Flipsy?) allows people to use MC IDE with any
> Rev license, we can expect more people actually using it, no?  I am all
> for having more people using MC IDE. But will RR agree to that? I gather
> you, Richard, must have already discussed this with them. I refer to MC
> IDE providing functionality currently restricted to enterprise license
> of Rev, so people could get extra features without paying. Or will the
> Rev license restrictions be observed regardless whether running Rev IDE
> or MC IDE? That would be cool.

Kevin has been supportive of FlipsIDE, and has even helped me debug it
(though I should probably note that that doesn't mean RunRev has any
obligation to support it; I appreciate his help but it's definitely not
a RunRev plugin, but a third-party one).

There's a proposal floating around in Bugzilla to put the Rev license
scheme fully into the engine as it was with MetaCard.  This would mean
that the engine could be used with any combination of IDEs without
risking licensing issues.  I don't know when that will be implemented,
but yes, there does seem to be an interest in moving in that direction.

PS: It's definitely "FlipsIDE", as in "Flips IDE", if for no other
reason than to maintain the tradition of cutey-pie names begun with my
UmbrellaMan plugin (which catches events like an umbrella).  :)