Saving projects

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Fri Nov 5 16:46:18 EST 2004

Shari,

Great insight!

I use a similar method, Im also the Space Manager in my company and we have
a bunch of folders, let me tell ya!

Anyway, here's the variant, and an extra tip...
Consider that folder hierarchies can easily become very long in these
schemes so it's important not to repeat some info in folder names. Who
doesn't like long folders? Some backup software, copiers, Windows, DOS,
etc...

We have a couple thousand people in our company. We have a business side and
an IT side. Each with about 100-150 different sections, each of which has
prod, testing, mgt, development, support and each sometimes with sub groups!
Talk about organization!

Anyway here's how it works at home... A + is a folder
+Projects
  +DiscreteBrowser
    +bkps
      +20041101
         stacks
         + folders of project
      current stack v.x.rev
      current stack v.x+1.rev
  + PropsN2O
    +bkps
      +20041101
         stacks
         + folders of project
      current stack v.x.rev
      current stack v.x+1.rev

Backups are easily filtered and washed from the disk.
Versioning is important to keep track of your changes. (see the history
section in any about box in the stacks of MonsieurX.com. It's helped a lot
in the past to see what happened! And it's nice to see features add up for
the features write up or the help.

This may not be for everyone but I've found this structure easy to manage
and navigate.

The dates are written in reverse so that any stupid program like the MS
explorer or DOS can sort them correctly. Doesn't happen the other way
around. You'd think that after 25 years PCs would learn a new trick eh?

What is nice also is that if you do a search in a backup or just the folder,
you can find all the changes per day or project.

Good weekend to all!
Xavier