MC IDE 2.6 - next steps

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 27 07:35:43 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein has posted MC IDE v2.6b5 -- thank you, Robert.  Good work.

I've gone through the new build addressing some bug fixes reported
recently and all issues reported to date have now been addressed, along
with these minor changes to be included in b6:

- Moved the mcPluginsFolder function back into MC's backscript as it was
in b4 so that it's accessible to other stacks. I appreciate Robert's
decision to move all other plugin code into the Plugin Manager itself
for the reasons he mentioned, but this one may be useful for other
tools.  If no one else thinks that will be useful I don't mind moving it
  back into the Plugins Manager.

- Replaced the mcOpenStandaloneBuilder handler with a function named
mcStandaloneBuilderStackName which now only returns the name of the SB
stack appropriate for the version of the engine you're running, and
modified the relevant portion of the Tools menu script accordingly. This
change was done to address a bug reported in the Windows Info dialog in
which it was setting info in the wrong SB stack; this has also been
corrected.

- Added IDE version to the About box (stack "MetaCard Version").

- Updated the "Licensing" script in the Help Directory to open the new
licensing info stack added in v2.5.1 which describes the open source
terms that now govern the IDE.

Before B6 is posted, we have a few outstanding issues we need to decide on:

1. Mode for stacks opened with File->Open
Currently, all stacks opened with File->Open are opened as toplevel,
regardless of the style property of the stack itself.  In recent
discussion here a majority of those who expressed opinions suggested
that the style property be honored and not overridden by the IDE.

While there were few dissenting voices on this issue, this is a change
from 14 years of previous behavior of 14 years.

Should I proceed with a change from opening as toplevel to simply
opening in the stack's native mode?

Should we leave it as it is for v2.6b6 and decide later?

2. HyperCard-style script access
--------------------------------
Tariel Gogoberidze suggested a modification to allow quick script access
in browse mode (see
<http://www.mail-archive.com/metacard@lists.runrev.com/msg10588.html>).
  Jacque uses a similar method, and while I haven't I see the value of
it and would probably use it if it were available.

Please review Tariel's suggestion and post whether you feel it should be
added or not.

3. Help->Support...

What do you think is most appropriate option for an IDE with 28 users?

4. Plugins Manager -- multiple "modes"
--------------------------------------
Please review the new options in B5 and speak up if you have any issues
with the changes there.  I have no doubts about the quality of Robert's
excellent scripting, but there were some questions here earlier about
the necessity of the multiple modes/types now supported.  My own opinion
is that as long as they do no harm I see no problem with letting those
modifications stand, and they may be useful to others as well. So while
I'm in favor of them, I think we'd all like to see v2.6 go final soon so
this is the time to speak up or forever hold your peace. :)

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the IDE thus far, esp.
Robert Brenstein for his substantial efforts with b5.

PS: If you haven't yet voted in the MC IDE poll, please do so as it will
help determine appropriate levels of effort for the IDE going forward: