Plugins, fonts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 7 23:08:36 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> Once upon a time this was all so simple:  folks wanted a menu to
>> provide convenient access to extra utilities, and decided it would be
>> useful to also have the option of having some of those automatically
>> opened if they choose.  At that point, everything else possible with
>> the engine is available or a plugin's behavior.
>> Why it needs to be any more complicated than that continues to elude
>> my simple mind.
>
> Well, all this "complicated" stuff comes into play ONLY when you
> explicitely ask for it.

But I didn't.

Like I said, I know you write good code and as long as the features
you're adding to support your plugin do no harm and I don't have to
write them I have no issue with it.

But looking ahead, it's worth noting that the specialized needs of your
plugin have introduced a non-engine message into the API for the first
time in 14 years.  In this specific case I see no harm, but going
forward it may be prudent to be mindful of a potential slippery slope.
If folks want a Rev-like IDE, there's Rev.

If your plugin is now well accomodated then there will be no further
need for such things, and the issue goes away.