Plugins, fonts

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri May 7 13:32:28 EDT 2004

>> Once upon a time this was all so simple:  folks wanted a menu to
>> provide convenient access to extra utilities, and decided it would
>> be useful to also have the option of having some of those
>> automatically opened if they choose.  At that point, everything else
>> possible with the engine is available or a plugin's behavior.
>
> If Plugins menu is used only as a simple launchpad to open stacks,
> the plugin concept stops short to fullfill its promise IMHO. If we
> make the next step, we need to recognize that some stacks may have
> dual functionality when used as plugins.

At the risk of interjecting a small dose of reality here, I hope we all know
that the MC IDE is a volunteer project.  My understanding is the Rev folks
are not obligated to support it, but they must allow for the MC IDE to be
compatible with the latest Rev engine.  I also don't believe there have been
any offers to seriously revamp MC as most folks know how time consuming this
would be, especially for something that is not officially supported and used
by a handfull of developers.

Since Richard Gaskin has graciously offered to act as "project manager" on a
*volunteer* basis, perhaps it would be more effective to go and build
whatever enhancement is desired yourself, rather than arguing the merits of
the enhancement.  The MC IDE is supposed to be after all open source now, so
I think it should be possible to develop new features and then have folks
try them out.  Richard, is this doable?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director