Plugins, fonts

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri May 7 22:22:32 EDT 2004

>Robert Brenstein wrote:
>>Why did you add the "library" as plugin type?
>
>Because two people presented an argument that there may be times
>when a stack should only be libraried at startup but not when
>opening the stack.  Moreoever, most good libraries are designed to
>be initialized with "start using" called from an app, and have no
>auto-initialization of their own.

But this is exactly the same argument for the "active" plugin type.
Is the fact that I am the only one advocating it the issue? Or is it
that I am the only one who sees the utility of it?

>But what I do is completely irrelevant here.  This project is a
>community effort, so when a feature is proposed and the majority
>vote in favor of it, someone must write even if some will never use
>it.

I don't see other open source projects run really so democratically
but I have actively participated only in a couple :) There was a
brief but interesting thread on these issues on HyperCard list just
recently.

Anyway, I think by now I have outlined and argued all changes I
envisioned for the next beta. A few people suggested to continue with
the workabout solutions using either auto-open or library routes
instead of supporting "active" plugins explicitely. Only Richard
discussed the operation of Plugin Manager self. The majority has been
quite silent.

So, should I bother to post what I suggested as b5? Or should we
continue with b4? If everyone is happy with the way b4 works, I will
shut up and just make my own version as Richard suggested :)

Robert Brenstein