Plugins, fonts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 7 09:39:41 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:
> Why did you add the "library" as plugin type?

Because two people presented an argument that there may be times when a
stack should only be libraried at startup but not when opening the
stack.  Moreoever, most good libraries are designed to be initialized
with "start using" called from an app, and have no auto-initialization
of their own.

Here, when I need specialized behavior I just write a simple stack that
uses preOpenStack to handle any initialization I need for my own
purposes, from librarying stacks to setting IDE properties or anything else.

But what I do is completely irrelevant here.  This project is a
community effort, so when a feature is proposed and the majority vote in
favor of it, someone must write even if some will never use it.

That's why discussing feature proposals here first is important.

The nice thing about the X11 license is that if the community eventually
changes to want the IDE to grow in complexity and start behaving like
Rev, myself and my clients can always revert to a simpler version to
maintain the lean, total-control world we're accustomed to.