MC IDE - developer tool additions - sugggestion

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 31 22:34:47 EST 2004

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, "Richard Gaskin"  wrote:
>
>>Another option would be to provide this functionality in plugin, which
>>could use a frontScript to appear and hide as needed when a script
>>editor is open.
>>
>>The advantage of putting those controls into a plugin is that it would
>>then be universal:  with only modest effort it could work equally well
>>in conjunction with Rev's script editor in addition to MC's.
>
> Richard, I may have missed some past discussion: have you or anyone else
> set up a plugin handling architecture in MC yet?

At the Yahoo Group where the projec lives there are two review versions
which contain a Plugins menu.  During review there were requests for
allowing folks to select the folder the plugins reside in (this request
has been made for Rev as well), and I'm adding that now.

I had offered to also add Rev compatibility glue, but few use things
outside the engine for plugins and no one here wanted the glue, so I'll
leave it in the horse's hoof. :)

The beauty of plugins is that they're just stack files, and a "plugin
manager" is just a menu to open them with.  All the real work with
messaging, etc. is already done in the engine, so for an effective
implementation not much more is needed.

Grab the most recent review release and go to town.

 > I have several pieces of code related to layout that might be useful
 > additions to the MC IDE at some point.

If they're for layout why not make them plugins so they can contribute
to all environments?

Stapling them to a specific IDE (esp. one used by few and ever fewer
people) seems unfairly limiting to your talents, and also unfair to the
Rev folks who could gain as much from them as MC folks.