MC IDE - developer tool additions - sugggestion

Ian Gordon ian at 1492.ca
Tue Mar 30 10:41:05 EST 2004

Hi list,

I had a MC IDE feature thought the other than that may be useful to
support developer productivity and help to develop more maintainable,
or at least commented code..

The proposed changes are simply to add a couple of controls within the
script editor window. Here's what I was thinking...

1. Add a control (or just an option Click handler?)  in the left column
of the script editor wd (where you set breakpoints) that would insert a
predefined comment line or hdr, as defined in a property somewhere..
-- makes it easy to insert std code hdr's (main and tagged comment
lines with todays date?)

2. On save (script) - write out the script to a file in cvs like tree
dir or file structure and maintain a lookup list (to build a display
menu)

3. Add a control (menu, list) (beside the help menu btn in the script
editor wd) that shows the various versions of this script available on
disk (those saved, along with simple specs like # lines, date saved,
comment, etc.?))

4. When a version of the script is selected, pipe it to an xdiff
program (via the shell?) and your off to the races with a good diff
program?

5. Add a control or menu handler to script editor wd to swap versions
of the current script with a previous one selected in the pop up
menu... which would save the current script out to a version file and
swap in the selected script.

Just some ideas that I thought I'd submit to the list for discussion...

The raw idea of course needs some more thought, but I think it could be
  useful addition for sometime down the road.

Ian