MetaCard-based WYSIWYG editor

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 15:30:18 EDT 2004

Hello Klaus,

> A tiny word of warning about this little handler
> WOULD have been a good idea! ;-)

> on refreshUserImages
>    if the number of card images > 0 then
>      put getCurrentFolder() into currentFolder
>      repeat with x = 1 to the number of card images
>        get currentFolder & "User/Images/" &
> userImageRelativePath(x)
>        set the filename of card image x to it
>      end repeat
>    end if
> end refreshUserImages

The gist of this is that all the background parts that
appear on all cards are only done once and separately,
and the "users" parts are the CARD parts. IOW it's how
my system distinguishes between GUI vs USER parts.

> I opened "editeur", looked around a bit ...

Yesterday's "editeur" was crude. I fixed it overnight.
I will release it within an hour. The images (GUI and
USER) now appear as they should. I discovered a flaw
that is easy to workaround : when you add new images,
you select them with a answer-file dialog BUT .. here
is the quirk .. the image(s) *have to* be at the same
level as the app or lower. Above the level of the app,
my function getRelativePath(wholePath) breaks down. It
is like this in many OTHER cases too, notably with web
sites. All URLs any site are all WITHIN the hierarchy
of the web server software; NOT ABOVE.

> (my french is much worse that i always pretend :-D

Sorry about the language barrier. The person mandating
this project insists on having *everything* in French;
everything they SEE that is! Since you have looked at
my code (smile), you have probably noticed that it is
coded bilingually, e.g. english AND french. I do this
intentionally becoz using french names for variables,
properties, and so on, is GUARANTEED to NOT conflict
with MetaCard's namespace (which in only in english,
of course).

> and closed that stack again...
> But its "destroystack" property was set to false...
> Then i opened one of my current projects and my
> heart stopped missing a beat, since
> all my INTERNAL images were GONE!

Oh my God! I never suspected that this might occur.
Not ever. Wow! What a slipup! I beg your pardon. I
will set the "destroystack" property as you suggest.

What happened is this : my Editor starts using a stack
that continues to be in the stacksInUse after you have
CLOSED the stack. I don't stop using on close because
the editor is only ONE of 7 stacks in this suite which
share this stackInUse.

> "Tonnerre de Brest!",
> as Cpt. Haddock used to say :-D

Boy am i GLAD that you ended your above sentence with
a SMILE instead of a FROWN. I will endeavour to make
it better. Thank you for this important feedback. :)

> I was totally clueless
> but fortunately i quitted without saving...

On a "sauver les meubles"!  ;-))

( english translation: the hull is breached, captain,
but she will NOT founder! )

> Then i searched and found the little sucker...

What did you think of my coding style ?
Were you able to infer how it works by examination ?
Was the code "self-explanatory" ?
Did it SPEAK to you ?

Pssst! if you answered YES to the last question, then
you should probably consult some qualified help. ;-)))

> I will give it another try ;-)

My next version will be online in about 30 minutes,
e.g. the time it takes me to finish responding to this
and a few other e-mails. :)

> Au revoir
> Klaus Major

Translated : "See ya" !  ;-)