Crash and burn

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 3 13:30:01 EDT 2004

Shari wrote:

>> Shari,
>>
>> Are you using pictures in htmltext?
>

> Nope.  The last time I had a stack go kablooey I believe it was an
> image, also.
>
> Using Mac OS 10.2.8 and Metacard 2.4.3 (before the Revolution).  The
> things now going kablooey were fine last week, hence the suspecting of
> corruption.
>
> Tried replacing one card but it didn't work.
>
> Ah well.... will attempt to script a rebuild.  Never tried that one
> before.  How easy that would make it!
>

>> repeat for every control x in your stack
>>   save control x to xml object in stackxmlmatrix
>> end repeat
>>
>> restore to a new stack...
>>
>> Sorry to have no better news, but I got these
>> crashes too... one bad image will do it...
>>
>> what version of MC, OS are you using?
>>
>> X (crashed and burned and rewritten...)

The good news is that it isn't likely corruption, so you'll probably be
able to save the project once you identify the cause.

Is there a file in the same folder with the same name appended with "~"?
If so, then the original crash occured during a write so the main file
is incomplete, but the "~"-appended file should be a complete backup.

If there is no "~"-appended file, chances are good that your project is
fine but there may be a script being triggered that keeps performing the
offending behavior.

The trick is to find that script, which will be hard to make
recommendations on without knowing more about the project.  In general,
locking messages before opening cards or windows can help while
diagnosing, and of course be ery mindful of frontscripts, backscripts,
and libraries...