MC IDE

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Sun Jul 25 21:07:45 EDT 2004

At 8:23 PM -0500 7/25/2004, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>That's a bug, which I would imagine would be fixed before 2.5 is
>>released.  Removing the hand cursor completely would be a
>>horrifyingly bad decision if it were intentional, as it would
>>completely eliminate the sort of browser-like
>>hand-cursor-over-clickable-text features so easy to do in all
>>previous releases for more than a decade.
>
>Well, no. It is an intentional design decision. That's also why the
>hand cursor is no longer on the tool palette. The feeling was that
>users wanted standalones to look like other standard applications.

It's certainly a bug to remove the cursor altogether. (At least I
hope it's a bug. ;-) Setting the default defaultCursor to the arrow
shape is something else again, and quite reasonable since most apps
will prefer this default. It removes a step for the developer. But
the hand is quite useful in some apps, since it's the conventional
indicator for "click now to trigger a link". "set the cursor to hand"
ought to work properly.

(The difference between the arrow and the new pointer-tool cursor
isn't as clear as I'd like at a glance - they're now basically the
same shape - but that's a nit, and easy to tweak.)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com