Not just another BUG - a new series of...

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Thu Jan 29 11:02:38 EST 2004

Thanks Richard,

>I think it's less a bug than a design priority.  They don't seem to use
>explicitVars much so they're just not in the habit of scripting for it.
>
>Scott Raney is an unusually disciplined soul, so I don't know if he uses
it
>himself or not but it seems everything in the MC IDE is compliant with
it.

At first I thought it was a horrible feature...

Then I learned that the explicit variables is extremely useful to find
mispelled variables
for example. It saves lots of time to find them... For a final check for
your scripts, it's a
great time saver. Just put your cursor over a button and hop, you got the
potential
bugs showing up... (Dont try it in RR)...

>I believe this has been bugged, and RunRev intends to devote the
resources
>to retrofit.  But given how rarely explicitVars is used it hasn't been a
>high priority.

I can understand but it's not such a rare function for some of us who
demand
zero-defect quality in our stacks and a way to make that easier...
IMOHO...

>> To top it all off, the tools palette never opens at startup...
>
>They do for me.  Is that a preference that got turned off?

Actually, I did check, I checked the only feature in the preferences that
keeps the
toolbar opened when in scripts - since the menubar keeps disapearing
behind other
windows (which is extremely annoying)...

>> Dare I say cheezy? Reality check: Is it just me?
>
>I wouldn't call it cheezy.  It seems more a question of how you like your
>pizza: if you like extra cheese the Rev IDE has a lot of stuff.  But if
you
>like just meat on your pie you may feel the extra stuff gets in the way.
>
>Since you seem to be a meat-only guy like me, I suppose the question is:
Why
>not just use the MC IDE?

OK, I wont say cheesy. Let's say undercooked... Send the pizza back to the
chef ;)

I use MC at work for production because it is FLAWLESS in this respect.
I bought the RR license for my personal research - and to my surprise it's
definitely
NOT ready for enterprise production... IMOPO.

Im not saying it wont work but it's way too unpredictable to commit some
of the
administration tools I run in our banking environment - MC is not perfect
but it's dependable...

The way I see it, is that if there are bugs as big as these in the GUI,
how can you be sure
of the engine below? (knowing that the engine might still be MC's)...

Developing something stupid as a text browser has taken me more than 2
weeks
which I find unbearable... Developping an enterprise migration tool with
RR would be
impossible and really dangerous... It's a snap in MC... I find that's very
explicit...

Quality control in a development environment is of paramount importance
for
quality development and releases...

I guess this could be an endless subject...

Xavier

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER