Not just another BUG - a new series of...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 29 01:26:15 EST 2004

xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Although Im really happy with RR there's a lot of things that are not
> working.
> So I thought I'd use one of the best features for pre-debugging - the
> explicit variables...
>
> Holly bugs!

I think it's less a bug than a design priority.  They don't seem to use
explicitVars much so they're just not in the habit of scripting for it.

Scott Raney is an unusually disciplined soul, so I don't know if he uses it
himself or not but it seems everything in the MC IDE is compliant with it.

I believe this has been bugged, and RunRev intends to devote the resources
to retrofit.  But given how rarely explicitVars is used it hasn't been a
high priority.

FWIW they're not alone: I believe SuperCard's Project Editor suffered a
similar fate for a few versions.

> To top it all off, the tools palette never opens at startup...

They do for me.  Is that a preference that got turned off?

> Dare I say cheezy? Reality check: Is it just me?

I wouldn't call it cheezy.  It seems more a question of how you like your
pizza: if you like extra cheese the Rev IDE has a lot of stuff.  But if you
like just meat on your pie you may feel the extra stuff gets in the way.

Since you seem to be a meat-only guy like me, I suppose the question is: Why
not just use the MC IDE?