Anyone care about stack size?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jan 29 03:11:26 EST 2004

I'm curious, how many of you consider stack size a major concern?
I was playing around the other day, and realized there is a pretty
simple way to shrink your stacks permanently:

1) Create an invisible, empty stack, "Wrapper"

Do this:
set the stackData of stack "Wrapper" to compress(stack "SomeStack")
set the visible of stack "Wrapper to false

Then add a script like this to "Wrapper":
on openStack
     go stack (uncompress(the stackData of this stack))
     close stack "Wrapper"
end openStack

Voila! Save the wrapper to disk and it made my 900k stack shrink to
about 300k, and it still opens in virtually the same amount of time. Of
course if I want to make changes, I would need to make the changes and
re-stuff the stack into the user property.

Obviously most files are compressed anyway when they are distributed,
but in this case they remain compressed on disk regardless.

It seems that one could write a plugin which cloned itself, prompted
the user to pick an open stack, and then created a new, wrapped and
compressed stack which could then be built into a standalone, etc.

Personally, I'm not working on anything where file size matters, but
does it to others?

- Brian