cursor temporarily vanishes on startup

tech at paynesparkman.com tech at paynesparkman.com
Thu Feb 5 10:26:29 EST 2004

I've for the most part solved my own problem.  I found that things which occur in a startup handler are supposed to occur before the stack is visible.  This means that not
only should I not see the cursor until the startup handler is complete but, I shouldn't even see the stack until then.  My only confusion now is why I was able to see my stack
during startup.  I made a sample stack with a startup handler which contained the line "wait 10 seconds".  When I double-click on that stack, I don't see it appear on my
desktop until afer the 10 seconds has elapsed.  This problem did not occur when I switched engines.  It occurred when I switched from using openstack to startup.  I did this
because I had added substacks to my stack and they were invoking the openstack handler in the main stack when they were opened.  This was not desirable behavior.  I
now know that by putting openstack handlers in each of my substacks which don't include the command "pass openstack", the openstack message is trapped at the
substack level and never gets passed to the main stack.

Rich Mooney