Slightly OT (was: Re: Another cosmetic improvement proposal forversion 2.6b7)

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sun Aug 29 23:40:09 EDT 2004

Hallo Wilhelm,

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Klaus Major <klaus at major-k.de> wrote:
>
>> (snip)
>> Well, if i should ever find out what that means i'll surely come over
>> to Kassel and ...(snip)
>> Ciao ragazzo
>> Klaus Major
> Hallo Klaus,
> Consider yourself invited to Kassel for any time you choose.

If i ever come to Kassel, be sure i'll drop in :-)

> O.K., I owe you some guidance to understand the phrase:

Fine, although i KNEW it means something friendly ;-)

> This was only an attempt to mimic your versatility with languages
> (Japanese, Spanish, Italian etc.) and to enhance it. "Serdeczne
> pozdrowienia" is  like "kind regards", but somewhat more emotional or
> dedicated. The literal translation of this Polish phrase is the German
> "Herzliche Gruesse", which however sounds a bit more formal than
> "serdeczne pozdrowienia".

Ah, i see, thank you!

> I am roughly familiar with this kind of Slavonic language from
> frequent engagements as a visiting scholar at Polish institutions, and
> I think it is the most melodious of the Slavonic languages. The
> equivalent for Germanic languages .- in terms of the degree of
> melodiousness - would be Swedish IMO and for languages of Latin origin
> Portuguese. The Portuguese language might indeed be called a Polish
> version of Spanish because of the many palatal  (sh, j etc.) sounds,
> but it was in fact the Germanic tribe from Swabia - "die Schwaben" -
> that ruled the Portuguese territory for some time beginning in the
> fifth century A.C. and transformed the Latin-Spanish dialect to
> Portuguese.

:-)

Cool, thanks for this little historical jewel!

> So much for the wider context and the enhancement of your education.

Thanks, this is very much appreciated.

I habe to commit that my knowledge of slavonic languages IS a bit weak,
if present at all...

I have a "grosses Latinum" (huh, how is this in english???) and
therefore i can derive A LOT
of word in roman languages ;-)

And i find languages very fascinating!

> Kaikkea hyvää!