Slightly OT (was: Re: Another cosmetic improvement proposal forversion 2.6b7)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sun Aug 29 22:32:57 EDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Klaus Major <klaus at major-k.de> wrote:

> (snip)
> >> Tschüs and serdeczne pozdrowienia,
>

> Well, if i should ever find out what that means i'll surely come over
> to Kassel and ...
> (snip)
>
> Ciao ragazzo
>
> Klaus Major

Hallo Klaus,

Consider yourself invited to Kassel for any time you choose. O.K., I owe
you some guidance to understand the phrase:

This was only an attempt to mimic your versatility with languages
(Japanese, Spanish, Italian etc.) and to enhance it. "Serdeczne
pozdrowienia" is  like "kind regards", but somewhat more emotional or
dedicated. The literal translation of this Polish phrase is the German
"Herzliche Gruesse", which however sounds a bit more formal than
"serdeczne pozdrowienia".

I am roughly familiar with this kind of Slavonic language from frequent
engagements as a visiting scholar at Polish institutions, and I think it
is the most melodious of the Slavonic languages. The equivalent for
Germanic languages .- in terms of the degree of melodiousness - would be
Swedish IMO and for languages of Latin origin Portuguese. The Portuguese
language might indeed be called a Polish version of Spanish because of
the many palatal  (sh, j etc.) sounds, but it was in fact the Germanic
tribe from Swabia - "die Schwaben" - that ruled the Portuguese territory
for some time beginning in the fifth century A.C. and transformed the
Latin-Spanish dialect to Portuguese.

So much for the wider context and the enhancement of your education.

Kaikkea hyvää!
(search in North-Eastern direction),

Wilhelm Sanke