Rev file selection in MC_IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 18 14:51:14 EDT 2004

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> There is not much exchange of information on the Metacard list at
> present, quite contrary to what is happening on the two other runrev
> lists. The last digest was sent on Aug 9.

Most of the more general language and problem-solving discussion that
used to be here has migrated to the Rev list in the last year, since the
acquisition of the engine.

Most of the traffic here seems to be specific to the MC IDE, and since
it's mostly bug-free there's little to talk about. :)

> My post "Resumed: MC IDE v2.6b7 package" of 10 days ago (Sun Aug 8) did
> not elicit any responses so far. There is of course no kind of urgency
> involved, we have enough time at hand to solve certain issues and answer
> questions. I just wanted to re-attract your attention to the
> proposals/questions contained in post "Resumed.....".-

Just me being preoccupied.  Your comments were well-taken, and most of
those will be acted on in the next build.  Any exceptions will be noted
here when I get a moment to catch up on things (been spending half of my
life in airplanes and trains this last month).

> An additional question:
>
> In the Rev IDE the "open file dialog" (on Windows) has a separate option
> to display all Metacard files, however such an option is missing in the
> MC_IDE for Revolution files.
> As - for various reasons - I usually have a mixture of Rev and MC files
> in my directories I have for quite some time added such an Revolution
> option in stack "mctools". Moreover, the "All Files" option, which you
> at present need to choose Rev stacks, displays any kind of files, which
> makes it sometimes very hard to find the Rev stacks among the multitude
> of text, image, zip-files etc.
>
> To add a rev file option to the MC_IDE only one line of button "File" of
> group "Metacard Menu Bar" has to be changed, namely in "case 'open'" the
> line following
> "case 'Win32'" to
>
> "put "MetaCard Stacks" & cr & "*.mc" & cr & "Revolution Stacks" & cr &
> "*.rev" & cr & "All Files" & cr & "*.*" into filterstring"
>
> Do you think this would be a valuable enough change or should such a
> change better be left to individual initiative? Of course only Windows
> user would be affected, and my impression is that most members of the
> Metacard list are Mac users.

Yes, I think it should support opening Rev files easily.

I'll add that to the next build.