Plug ins in MC 2.6b1

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 29 03:29:55 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> The files need to be read in order to check properties, but if the
>> destroyStack is set to true they should not remain in memory after
>> that.  If not it's either a bug in my code that I overlooked (I try to
>> keep things RAM-lite 'cause I know how you are <g>) or a bug in the
>> engine.
> Actually, this brings up a more general issue: should the Plugin Manager
> set the custom properties inside the plugin stacks OR should it keep
> that info in its own private list? My first inclination was to set them
> in the plugin stacks as it is in the current implementation. However, on
> second thought, these properties are only for benefit of the Plugin
> Manager, so it might be more appropriate to leave the plugin stacks
> alone. This way, we have more flexibility how to handle things and also
> reduce compatibility issues for the future. And this will eliminate any
> need to load stacks that are not explicitely requested to be opened.
> Granted, the downside is that library stacks have to be explicitely set
> for each new version. But that is how things have always worked with
> Extensions Manager under MacOS.

I generally dislike any IDE adding any properties to any objects and so
would be inclined to agree, but there are a few reasons which may
warrant this exception for plugins:

- It keeps the metadata with the plugin stack file; moving the
   file does not affect its settings.

- While loading to read the properties take a few milliseconds,
   if a stack's destroyStack property is set it should not remain
   resident after the property is read.

- It makes use of an existing Rev convention for automatically
   opening plugins.  While I am not in favor of supporting all
   of Rev's plugin options, if we decide to add something that's
   already present in that IDE it simplifies things for developers
   to use the same mechanism wherever practical.

- As extensions to the development environment, plugins can be
   seen as an exception to the "no added properties" rule which
   we're all grateful is a key part of MC's creed. :)