Plug ins in MC 2.6b1 and other questions

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Apr 21 18:42:31 EDT 2004

On 4/21/04 11:36 AM, Dr.John R.Vokey wrote:

> Metacardians,
>   I see that the new MC IDE 2.6 has a plug-ins menu.  Having never used
> one, what constitutes a plug-in?  Is it just a main stack that serves a
> particular function?  It is anything other than a stack being put in
> use, or do all scripts and properties of the plug-in stack become
> available to the stack using the plug-in?  Do the plug-in properties
> apply only within the IDE, or do they migrate automagically to
> stand-alones?

A plug-in is just a stack you want convenient access to via a menu item.
I have some custom tools that I put in there so I can open them quickly.
You can, however, set a plug-in stack to automatically load as a
library, in which case it will function as a stack in use.

Plug-ins are specific to the development environment. They don't affect
standalones at all. If you want access to their functionality in a
standalone, you'll need to add the stack to the mainstack as you usually
do, either as a substack or as a script in a control that is inserted
into the message hierarchy.

>   And, more generally, how are we to distinguish between properties,
 > procedures and functions of the engine, the MC IDE, and the RR IDE?

As far as I know, the MC IDE doesn't have any custom procedures or
functions, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com