MC IDE - developer tool additions - sugggestion

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Apr 2 02:30:51 EST 2004

>Robert Brenstein wrote:
>>Yet another consideration is an option to tell plugin manager to
>>disable a given plugin (akin to extension manager in Mac OS), so it
>>is skipped starting with the next launch. May be you've already
>>planned this feature and just did not mention. This can also be
>>accomplished by modifying the same property, me thinks.
>
>You hit on a very important idea there, Robert, one that has not
>come up before but is critical.
>How about this:
>
>Starting MC with the Shift key down will start without loading
>plugins or libraries.

Sounds good.

>The Plugins menu will still be operational, but holding the Shift
>key down when selecting an item will open it as toplevel and with
>lockMessages set to true.

This part I am not so sure about. Since you mentioned that Plugin
Manager allows to set plugins to auto-start, I presume it has some
GUI that lists all the plugins. My idea would be to use that
interface to activate/deactivate plugins aside from setting/removing
auto-start. Opening them as toplevel with or without lockMessages
could be also handled there (option to lockMessages could be just a
checkbox).

Fewer things to remember and more intuitive to use IMHO. The
shift-key trick you suggest could be implemented as a shortcut if you
think it is still worth it.

When eventually stacks gain systematic versioning (I believe this
will/has to come sooner or later), plugin version could also be
displayed in the plugin list. Displaying file moddate could be
considered for now.

Robert Brenstein