space

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 11 21:38:00 EDT 2003

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>>> One tidbit to consider when deciding Yahoo vs SourceForge vs else is
>>> the amount of space available. Yahoo has limit of 20 mb. SourceForge
>>> offers 100 mb.
>>
>> mctools.mc is 960k
>
> Yes, 20 mb may seem a lot for now but... each copy of mctools.mc is
> almost a megabyte

gz'd it's only 264k ;)

> and we will likely have a few different versions of
> IDE, and we are talking about offering a number of additional
> tools/stacks. Most will be small but some may be a tad bigger. And
> what will happen if next year we need to include an archive of
> engines for some yet-unknown reason?

There already is an archive of the engines (thank you Mr. Talutto!), and any
longer-term plans to host one are in the best interests of both Runrev and
the community they serve to be at runrev.com.   I can't imagine why they
wouldn't jump at the opportunity to provide such a valuable service to their
customers for the low cost of a few MB's storage space.

Remember that you just can run the Rev engine with MC.  On Mac Classic and
Win it must be renamed; on Mac OS X the bundle needs to be dissected.  Just
as BSD Linux and OS X both use the same kernel, the MC IDE is the "Linux" of
the Transcript world: spartan but efficient, not as easy to set up but still
enjoyable to use once you do.

For this and many other reasons, I just don't envision this being The Next
Great Thing, so I don't see a need to encumber the IDE project with
ancilliary sub-projects like also providing the complete engine archive.

I feel similarly with regard to plug-ins.  The number and variety of
Transcript-based plug-ins is already huge, and growing daily.  Personally I
see no reason why the MC IDE project must also be the Ultimate Archive of
Transcript Plugins.  Seems like two different agendas to me, though if such
an archive existed (the one at RunRev is good but incomplete and
infrequently updated) I would definitely want to link to it from whatever
page we use for this project.

All I know is that 20MBs is working well for a few MC-related OSI projects
now.

If someone's willing to pay for a neutral host with more space for at least
a few years I'm game to use it.