Using the Rev 2.1 engine

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 5 12:14:00 EDT 2003

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> J. Landman Gay wrote:

>>> Mismatched? Once the Revolution engine is renamed to "MetaCard" it
>>> should match the plist in the MC folder, yes?
>>
>> Yes, but the version info no longer matches the executable.
>>

> Well, this is why we need to resolve the versioning issues as it was
> briefly discussed recently.

That versioning issue was about the mismatch between the engine and the IDE.
The IDE is open source and not their responsibility, so that one's ours (and
easily addressed).

But the engine is the engine, and it should be able to run by itself no
matter where it is.  In OS X the engine includes the .app bundle, and it's
just silly to have to dissect one engine to move and rename parts into
another just to get back to a robust engine that worked anywhere.

> Has anyone followed with RunRev on that?
> It seems we really need to get a bit organized and have a leader or
> at least designate someone who talks to Rev folks to resolve such
> issues. I doubt that they want to be contacted by many individuals.
> Any volunteers?

I have a note in to Scott for advisement on how best to proceed.  It would
be useful to know why Rev unexpectedly quits when outside of its native
folder, and may just be a bug.