Getting MC CGI to work on OS X with "Web Sharing" turned on

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Oct 18 12:56:25 EDT 2003

OK, I finally got it to work, and I'll be writing up a tip on it right
away. :-) But for those taking notes, here's the steps:

1) Turn on Personal Web Sharing in the Sharing control panel (which told
me my web address was "http://192.168.1.100/~kenray/"). This creates an
index.html file in the Sites folder on your hard drive (in my case it
was /users/kenray/Sites/).

2) Download the Darwin MC CGI from the Metacard web site, decompress it
down to its "mc" file, and put it into folder
/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables.

3) Place your CGI script in the same folder as the "mc" file. Mine is
called "simple.cgi", which simply dumps "Hello World" as a result. It
looks like this:

!#mc

on startup
  put "Hello World!" into tResponse
  put "Content-Type: text/html" & crlf
  put "Content-Length:" & the length of tResponse & crlf & crlf
  put tResponse
end startUp

4) Set the permissions on both files to at least 755 (I used 777 (just
in case)).

5) Open up Terminal, do "cd /library/webserver/cgi-executables/" to get
to the CGI-Executables directory, and execute "./mc simple.cgi". You
should get back this:

Content-length:12

Hello World!

6) Then, open up your browser and type the IP address you were given in
the Sharing control panel, followed by "/cgi-bin/simple.cgi". In my case
it was:

  http://192.168.1.100/cgi-bin/simple.cgi

You should get "Hello World!" showing up in your browser.

As Dave noted, the /Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables directory can be
referred to as "cgi-bin" in your urls.

7) Create the rest of your site in the Site folder and when you want to
refer to the CGI, simply use <IP>/cgi-bin/<script>.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com