Getting MC CGI to work on OS X with "Web Sharing" turned on

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Oct 18 12:37:21 EDT 2003

> >Ok, I put them there (both the "mc" app and my "simple.cgi" file (I'm
> >using .cgi instead of .mt)), but when I attempt to call on the cgi
> >directly from the address bar of safari by typing:
> >
> >http://192.168.1.100/~kenray/cgi-bin/simple.cgi
> >
> >I get a "Not Found" page saying that "the requested URL is
> not found on
> >the server.
> >
> >What am I missing?
>
> Try this:
>
> http://192.168.1.100/cgi-bin/simple.cgi
>
> The cgi-bin "alias" is for the whole domain. If you want separate
> cgi-bin folders for each user account, you'll need to edit the Apache
> config file (/etc/httpd/httpd.conf). Don't ask me how.

Thanks, Dave, but when I use the URL you suggested, I get a an error
403: "You don't have permisson to access /cgi-bin/simple.cgi on this
server".

I'm still stumped.

Has anyone out there actually set this up on OS X and can provide
step-by-step instructions? It should be the same for every copy of OS X
out there who has simply turned Personal Web Sharing on and wants to run
a CGI...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com