10000 fields and crash

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Sun Oct 5 05:49:00 EDT 2003

J. Landman Gay :

> MetaCard's Save menu command includes a "compact stack". That's what is
> probably taking the time. It should save much faster if you type "save
> this stack" into the message box.

Just tried it : things get even worst : saving a stack with 2000 flds takes

15 min, when it took only 9 min with the Save menu...

Shari :

> The stacks I have with big overhead, lots of sounds and graphics,
> also take a long time to save, and forever to quit Metacard.  Just a
> simple "quit" with no quit handler, using whatever Metacard does to
> quit, can take forever.  And I'm on a G-3, 350 mhz, 128 MB ram
> (though probably beefed up with virtual memory on).

Yes I remember you mentioning that.
But this time we're talking about 2000 empty flds.
And there's no delay in opening / quiting the stack, modifying the flds
etc.  Only when saving...

Richard Gaskin :

> >> Have you considered custom properties as an alternative
>
> The suggstion is based on the assumption that these fields are being used
>
> for data storage only, without need for direct user interaction (are you
> having the user tab through 10,000 fields? <g>).

Not exactly, but as I'm exploring the possibility to use MC to
simulate a spreadsheet, I could use 10,000 flds to display data,
and therefore for some direct user interaction, like selecting / moving
rows & cols...
Data will be stored in a global. These data size will never go beyond
250 or 300 Kb, but will be spread on 100 rows of 160 cols.

If I can built a binary stack file from scratch (as I was suggesting
yesterday), I'll probably try to build all flds & groups I need on the
fly, since it doesn't take more than a couple of secs on rather slow
machines like a G3-300...

JB