MetaCard/Revolution Evangelism

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Mon Nov 17 12:37:11 EST 2003

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Wilhelm Sanke wrote in his
recent post about the functionality of MC vs. RR.  I, too, still use MC
preferentially, as do my colleagues and students.  Its interface is
clean, fast, and easily extensible.  In contrast, RR is cluttered,
confusing and slow, and less easily modified (without breaking
something else).

I know that it is improving in the sense that many bugs have been fixed
and slow code accelerated, but I still think the whole interface needs
a rethink.  It currently has more in common with MS Word and Photoshop
than hypercard---and that is not a compliment.  I am also appalled that
certain aspects of the code (e.g., standalone builder) are
``protected''---that's anathema for xTalks.

Don't misunderstand me here: I still proselytise MC/RR, and will
continue to do so.  I just find many of the current directions (e.g.,
the loss of the starter kit, ``protected'' code) ominous.
--
John