MetaCard/Revolution Evangelism

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 14 10:42:36 EST 2003

MisterX wrote:

> Eric,
>
> MC is almost dead BUT,
> Here it still kicks Butt!
> What is now mature
> Does not follow nature
>
> What is today obsolete
> Of basics is still replete
> If sight is all, RR is a deal
> But to mind, MC is a better meal
>
> I like MC because it's really freely open to tinkering

It looks like it'll still be around for those of us tinkerers who are picky
about such things. For example, I have very particular requirements for
automated standalone builds.  The Rev Distro Builder is locked up tight, but
with MC's I could get into what I needed for the level of functionality I
require.

It's a fine IDE if you've already gotten over the Motif-inspired UI.
For newcomers, though, I think Rev makes a better starting point.

It's great to have alternatives, so different personality types can have the
property-setters that best suit them.

And as the largest body of scripting available by the inventor of the
engine, it serves as an invaluable test bed and collection of examples,
showing off Transcript's strengths while avoiding its weaknesses.  We can
all learn a lot from Scott's scripting style.

> I prefer RR because it's a better time saver! I still
> prefer over that MC with my editor, control browser and
> XTools. Until I port them to RR that is...
>
> The price is the same.
>
> Im porting my tools to RR since there was no feedback for
> the MC X tools.

With so many people using the Rev IDE and more newcomers every day, anyone
serious about enriching the productivity of Trancript programmers will at
least consider implementing tools as plug-ins that will also work in Rev; if
you have to go with just one you'll reach more people favoring Rev.