URL exists?

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 7 10:33:18 EST 2003

>How do you define "very very slow"?  When I use:
>
>  get url "http://www.blablabla.com/index.html"
>  answer it
>
>...on a DSL connection, the answer is near instantaneous, especially with a
>bogus domain/address.  If you think about it, how else can you determine if
>a url exists without actually trying it?
>
>I have seen delays occur when there's heavy data to be returned.  And I
>would expect a dialup connection to be even slower.  But it seems you could
>put up some kind of notice (ie "checking url - one moment...") to provide
>feedback while the check takes place.

I have a dialup connection.  When looking up several addresses, "get"
is painful to sit and twiddle and wait watching the beachball
slooowly go 'round.  Unless I find a faster solution, this would be
something I'd have to tell it to do when I'm off watching TV.  Not my
choicest preference.
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com