URL exists?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Nov 6 23:00:45 EST 2003

On 11/6/03 10:23 PM, "Shari" <gypsyware at earthlink.net> wrote:

> What's the fastest way to check if an URL exists?
>
> I tried:
>
> if URL "http://www.whatever.com/something/else.html" is empty then
>  blah blah blah
> end if
>
> Very very slow.  Is there a faster way?

How do you define "very very slow"?  When I use:

 get url "http://www.blablabla.com/index.html"
 answer it

...on a DSL connection, the answer is near instantaneous, especially with a
bogus domain/address.  If you think about it, how else can you determine if
a url exists without actually trying it?

I have seen delays occur when there's heavy data to be returned.  And I
would expect a dialup connection to be even slower.  But it seems you could
put up some kind of notice (ie "checking url - one moment...") to provide
feedback while the check takes place.

Are you looking for something else?

Regards,

Scott Rossi