script editor

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Wed May 21 11:46:13 EDT 2003

| I am glad that you like this idea. Would you care to
| indulge in it further? Discuss it further, map out the
| design of the ideal script editor, mock it up with MC,
| etc. The first thing we should probably do is evaluate
| MisterX's recently crafted ScriptEditor. It would give
| us a HUGE headstart towards creating/having/using the
| Script Editor of our dreams, instead of just dreaming
| about it (which is fun too). You can opt out of ANY of
| these, of course, but it would be *great* to have your
| input in this quest of ours.

	Alain,

	Sorry to beslow in responding, been busy

	Yep, love this idea.  We are working on something
	like this at work.  Being an old Unix guy I
	am so attached to vi.  There is no better editor
	(IMHO) on the planet than vi.

	(in case anyone is listening who does not know
	it is pronounced VEE-EYE).

	we are actually using an x client called gvim
	on linux and trying to hook up stuff like this,
	little by little.

	I am going to bring itup at my staff meeting
	next week.

| What do you think of my other idea? The one whereby
| the comments can be selectively filtered, according to
| the profile of the user (his prefs, habits and
| particular task). The latter "task-based" approach
| would display only the comments you need to achieve
| that task. You could have one for "learning the code
| from scratch", another for "advanced debugging for
| code veterans", etc.

	yeah, love that.

| Here's another idea that I have not mentionned yet. We
| could implement HyperCard's Script Translator
| interface, which allows the script and its comments to
| be formatted in user-specific ways (for display &
| editing) but stores the script/comments in a standard
| machine-interpretable format that can adapt flexibly
| to all kinds of outputs. Methinks this is most likely
| to be implemented with XML, but it doesn't really
| matter to any of the users because they will never
| 'see' the XML. Among other things, the customization
| of the 'display' can include localization of the
| script and the comments, e.g. set the "language" to
| english, french, german, etc.

	interesting idea.  xml .. welp, the world is
	sure glomming onto it .. lot of merit
	in the concept, lot of overhead and complexity
	sometimes to what otherwise might be a
	simple task when the specs include
	xml, but as long as one doesn'thave to
	see the plumbing ...  oh well, just one