MetaCard Tips

MisterX x at monsieurx.com
Tue May 20 17:06:01 EDT 2003

Hi Eric,

Although I dont know much of the internals of QT,
QTI and QTVR have hotspots for interaction. Not
all QT files are movies...

This means that armed with screenshots, you can
do the same thing BUT, good luck with the programming.

Everyone is still holding their breath for the
HC + QT merging to happen right?

But there is a point I'd like to raise...

Sure compatibility is nice, but remember that it
wont attract more users to MC if you provide them
other files than stacks... And stacks do exactly
what you want while other formats, you will constantly
have to work with to match MC!

Which means that my point where I state that we need
a MC in-browser runtime like Java or Acrobat would
be really nice... Now, what would be interesting would
be how Scott could manage network smart data transfers.

Well, meanwhile, here's a method...

If we all unite in this effort, we have a solution like
acrobat without web support but with MC support which can
include web support anyway! It's good all of us MC and RunRev
developpers! Enjoy, and dont forget to share your benefits
to the community in return!

1) KISS principle
- put a url to download the free MC player Im sure Scott could
make a nice little HTML template to copy paste from his website.

So, if you make a web page with MC Tools, dont forget
to include a link to the runtime...

something like

Download the free <a href="http://www.metacard.com"
target="_blank">MetaCard</a> Engine<BR>
runtime of your choice:
<FORM action="" method="get">
<SELECT name="download"
onchange="top.location.href=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">
<OPTION value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/bsd.tar">bsd.tar</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/darwin.tar">Darwin.tar</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/hp9k700.tar">hp9k700.tar</OPTION>
<OPTION value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/iris.tar">linux.tar</OPTION>
<OPTION value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/MacOS.sit">MacOS.sit</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/MacOS68K.sit">MacOS68K.sit</OPTION>
<OPTION value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/mcsetup.exe">Win32
Setup</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/rs6000.tar">rs6000.tar</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/solintel.tar">solintel.tar</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/solsparc.tar">solsparc.tar</OPTION>
<OPTION value="ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/sparc.tar">sparc.tar</OPTION>

</SELECT>
</FORM>

It would be nice if the artists among you could
do a series of banners like
http://www.winamp.com/community/promote/index.jhtml
to attract more users to MetaCard.com...

Cheers to all!
Xavier (gone make a phpnuke module to download MC!)