The imp of the perverse

Yates, Glen JAMES.G.YATES at saic.com
Tue May 13 10:56:01 EDT 2003

> It's a proven fact that most programmers become
> notably attached to the first language they learned.
> Kind of like a chick (baby duck) which bonds with
> whatever thing is the FIRST that it sees.

I guess that explains my affinity towards AppleSoft Basic and 6502 Machine
Language :-)

>The XP solution is their *tests*. A test is programmed
>to test each segment of code once it is programmed

Actually, the latest fad in XP is to write the test first, before you write
the segment of code its supposed to test! That way the test will be
garanteed to fail, then you write the code until the test passes.

Oh, and as the person who kind of started this comment/no comment fiasco, I
pulled that quote mainly for the 1st 2 sentences concerning human
readability and the clear expression of algorithms. In my opinion, it is
desirable to have comments that explain 'WHY' your doing something, it is
the 'WHAT' (especially on a line-by-line basis) that should be self-evident
from the language.

-Glen