Metacard for Web Applications

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon May 12 19:15:01 EDT 2003

Hi Rodney

Here's some info posted to the rev list
<snip>

I don't know if this is on-topic here, but just to prevent some
invent-the-wheel-twice addidents:

  http://www.s2theatertechniek.nl/personal.html

Here you can find info about my cgilib.mc stack, which will (because it's
work-in-progress) support the following stuff in CGI-scripts:
* SQL-queries
* easy handling of cookies
* authorisation access
* some other handy stuff

Regards, / Groeten,
Sjoerd

</snip>

Unfortunatly I downloaded the stack and it was password protected so it's
not an ideal component for your purposes. Clearly the general idea that a
library has an libraryStack handler that initialises some local variables
that can then be queried is a good one.

All CGI files could end up being just:
 #!mc
on startUp
 library "libForm"
end startUp

The next thing is to separate the business logic, display logic and data
access.

It could be that a process like the following is used:
 - CGI post/get
 - libForm parses the request
 - libForm loads and executes business logic based on the request
 - the business logic loads and executes data access logic depending on the
request
 - libForm gets the result and then loads and executes display logic
depending on the request
 - libForm then writes the resulting HTML,WAP,XML,SMIL, whatever to stdout

I'm still not sure if it's better to use a libraryStack for libForm or just
put it all in the CGI as I have done with formrouter.cgi. The only advantage
I can see is that libForm could end up being a black box that users only
need to know how to use. It certainly makes implementing mc CGI easy.

Hope this helps

Monte

PS I would be interested in working on this with you if you like.